Welcome back to the series – an inside look at my team training videos! This one is very important to keeping our content marketing strong. As you see on our blog, we post twice a week and my involvement ends after the content is written or recorded.
Here’s our team training video of the blog posting process:
Here’s some things you may notice in our video:
1. We use a consistent location for posting content. I love using Backpack because it hold so much without having a ton of folders and subfolders. We have blog posts going back to August 2011 as well as a lot of resources. Choosing a consistent location is key!
2. I highlight how the formatting works in both formats. Our assistants have experience with WordPress but it helps to show the Visual and HTML views which is a common issue that trips people up.
3. Instead of saying “add this too” I actually show it. Training videos should answer all of the questions for a newbie, not introduce 10 other questions (or you’re doing them wrong). Try to anticipate the questions and answer them.
4. Show shortcuts – time is money and in this case you should be showing shortcuts like copy/paste and how to preview a post to test it for accuracy.
5. Acknowledge if this video does not stand alone. Often there’s too much content for one video so mention other training videos which should be watched for the elements you’re not showing – in this case adding images and doing video posts.
Why is this training video so important? By showing this training video I save an hour per assistant I hire and train and at least an hour a week not doing this task myself. Although the video is short it’s actually 30-45 minutes per blog post to ensure everything is done right. That’s time I can use creating more content!